Sunday, November 25, 2012

I love a good quote

I love quotes! They can be inspirational, make me laugh, I can feel justified for my actions, live in clarity for some mixed emotion, see the inexplicable truth to some and the nonsense of others.

Quotes are just wonderful and when they come from books I love or authors I admire, I admit that I can feel less disgruntled about a world where fools make a mockery of knowledge and it gives me hope that maybe not everyone is as bad as they sometimes seems.

That being said, here is a selection of interesting quotes. They are not linked to a particular topic except for the sheer enjoyment of sharing quotes from books by celebrated authors and the characters who have brought us pleasure.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying." Oscar Wilde

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible, and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." Charles William Eliot

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt

"It is a curious thought, but it is only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them." Agatha Christie

"She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain." Louisa May Alcott

"Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living." Jonathan Safran Foer

"My wish is that you may be loved to the point of madness." Andre Breton

"Being crazy isn't enough." Dr. Seuss

"Do your bit to save humanity from lapsing back into barbarity by reading all the novels you can." Richard Hughes"

"There is no mistaking a real book when one meets it. It is like falling in love." Christopher Morley

"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." William Styron

"I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." J.K. Rowling

"Don't gobblefunk around with words." Roald Dahl

"The person be it gentlemen or lady, who has not the pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid." Jane Austen

"My hour for tea is half-past five, and my buttered toast waits for nobody." Wilkie Collins

"I crawled into my book and pulled the pages over my head......" Laurie R. King

I could have listed dozens more, but I thought to spare you until another time. Hopefully I have made no mistakes in quoting these famous authors, though I am not perfect. Enjoy these few author meanderings and may your Monday be bright and cheerful with the thoughts of eccentric authors filling your heads.

"Mischief Managed" ~ Kelly



2 comments:

  1. Eleanor's quote is one of my favorites and one I constantly repeat to myself when I'm feeling low, thank you for commenting!!!

    ReplyDelete