Saturday, November 24, 2012

Currently Reading Shelf

A week ago I was overwhelmed with the desire to read something, anything but had no idea what that something was. Now I'm in the middle of 4 books.


I told you about Roberto Calas's The Scourge  a few posts back. I'm still waiting for Nov 27th  and the release of the next episode.
The Scourge
Roberto Calas 
Amazon Description:

Episode 1: Released on November 13, 2012. 37 pages. Sir Edward leads two knights through zombie-plagued England in search of his wife, despite the Church expressly forbidding the mission.

I also started The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens -

Pickwick Club
Charles Dickens
Dickens 1st novel, The Pickwick Papers was published in 1836 as a serial and portions or episodes of the book were published once a month. Kindle is re-releasing in episodes, one episode a week. 12 episodes have been released so far but I'm taking my time. I thought, if I read an episode a week I may not feel bogged down with a Dickens novel. I've never enjoyed Dickens as I really prefer happy, lively, romantic tales. I live in the real world and frankly I don't always want to read about the doom and gloom of everyday life, even if it happens in Victorian England. I'm hoping Pickwick can cure me of my Dickens dislike. Being his 1st novel I am hopeful. It is also free along with Oliver Twist for Kindle Serial fans.

Amazon Description:

Samuel Pickwick is the founder and perpetual president of the Pickwick Club. He and his fellow Pickwickians travel to the far-flung corners of London in search of adventure – luckily for the gentlemen, amusement and hilarity are never in short supply. Along their way, they encounter plenty of characters – from villains who land them in deep trouble to one woman who sues Pickwick to force him into marriage, providing the Pickwickians with plenty of tales to entertain.

I stumbled on The Great Book Collectors by Charles and Mary Elton -

The Great Book Collectors
Charles and Mary Elton

I accidentally downloaded this book. Amazon doesn't give a description of this book and the description on Goodreads left a lot to be desired so I decided to just read a bit and see for myself what it was about. So far, and I'm not sure if I'm still just in an introduction of sorts, it seems to be about famous bibliophiles throughout the ages. It's actually been interesting to read how men coveted books so much that wars could have been fought over them, libraries were destroyed because of war and men and families were sometimes in peril because of owning books. I'm not saying I will ever finish this and if I do it won't be anytime soon. Just something to read here and there. It has some amazing information that has also been quite interesting.

Today I began reading Stolen Crown: The Secret Marriage that Forever Changed the Fate of England by Susan Higginbotham.

Goodreads Description:

Trapped in the Wars of the Roses, one woman finds herself sister to the queen...and traitor to the crown
Katherine Woodville's sister never gave her a choice. A happy girl of modest means, Kate hardly expected to become a maker of kings. But when her sister impulsively marries King Edward IV in secret, Katherine's life is no longer hers to control...

So far I am in love this medieval historical fiction. It's so well written and from the point of Katherine "Kate" and her husband Harry. To describe my opinion of this book so soon would not give credit to the story so I will be back, when this novel is complete hopefully with a new author to love.

Today I downloaded The Winter Letter (The King of All) by Dustan Stanely - it's free today on Kindle and no, I haven't started reading it.

 
Goodreads Desciption:  
Genre: Christian Fiction -
 
On his thirteenth birthday Will receives a strange letter from a king. The letter is full of nonsense, so he figures it’s a prank, but then there are three knocks on his front door. By the next day his entire world has fallen apart and the strange letter makes perfect sense.

Near the closing the letter reads: Tomorrow, get on the 3:30 train. Go south. Get off at sunset and walk deep into the eastern woods. Knock on the door of the only house you come across...

Did this so-called king know what was going to happen beforehand or did he orchestrate the ordeal himself? Will must know, so he sets out on an epic journey that takes him to a world full of magic and war, with new friends and new enemies. In the end he comes face to face with the one responsible. His life will never be the same.

Lovers of simple fantasy with deep meaning, such as The Chronicles of Narnia and A Wrinkle in Time, will fall full into this simple story based on the deeper truths of love, hope, and faith!
 
 
Amazon fans have given it 5 stars 
Goodreads fans have given it 3.96 stars (they tend to be a tougher lot)
 
I'm intrigued to say the least, I love The Chronicles of Narnia and so I'm looking forward to sitting down with this in the future. It is the first I've heard of this this author and it seems to be his first notable novel. Though without further research I can't be sure. It was definitely a stroke of luck coming across this. I certainly hope it delivers!
 
"Mischief Managed" ~ Kelly
 
 
 
--

No comments:

Post a Comment