Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas a Little Early

The last few days have really felt like an early Christmas on Amazon ebooks.

Copyright (c) <a href='http://www.123rf.com'>123RF Stock Photos</a>
 
They have had so many amazing deals and frees books ~ I've been a downloading fool! I hope the fun continues. I have no idea how I'm going to get all these books read and still get anything done but I'm up for the challenge! I really need a higher paying job so I can afford a maid lol!
 
A few days ago I downloaded Back to the Bedroom by Janet Evanovich. It's one of her earlier stand alone novels before she wrote the Stephanie Plum series. It is such a charming romance!
 

 
It's considered a short romance at 272 pages though not a novella it's an easy, light read and right now its only $.99 in the Amazon store. That's an 87% discount! I downloaded it 12-5-12 and read some of it last night and finished it today on my lunch break at work (it's still on sale, I checked). It's the romance of Kate Finn and David Dodd and completely Evanovich style! It was laugh out loud funny, cheerful (especially after an extremely rough week at work) and it had adventure aplenty! David is Kate's neighbor and he's sitting on his front porch when something crashes through Kate's roof! It's love at first sight -though he's been in love with her since he moved in next door.

Elsie in her typical manner blows into the story and rents a room from Kate (she is just such a fun addition to these romances and I believe she makes appearances as Grandma Mazur's friend in the Plum novels), plus she has her signature garage sale purchased cannon cocked and loaded in her purse ready to blow the privates off any suspicious looking characters. She is truly a riot and was in another of the romances I read, I believe it was
The Rocky Road to Romance 
Don't quote me on that, I read a lot and it's been a few years since I read this one.

I gave Back to the Bedroom 4 stars, I enjoyed it very much. Evanovich makes me happy, her books make me laugh and though sometimes things are similar in her novels I can't feel upset about it. David was truly original and I liked Kate's character a lot. The ending was fantastic!

Stats:
Amazon Kindle (currently .99 cents) typically somewhere around $7.50
Pages - 272
1st published - 1989
Setting - Washington, Contemporary Fiction
Amazon readers gave it 3.9 stars
Goodreads members gave it 3.54 stars
Me - 4 stars

Drum rrrrroooolllllll.........Love in a Nutshell, by Janet Evanovich published in January 2012 is on sale for $2.99 and I bought it tonight. I haven't begun reading it yet but I'm so happy that I will probably start as soon as I'm done blogging. I've been waiting for ages to read this novel!


Co-authored by Dorien Kelly (whom I know nothing about) and normally $8.99. I feel like I just took the last 2 oreos out of the cupboard!!

Amazon's Description of Love in a Nutshell

Kate Appleton needs a job. Her husband has left her, she’s been fired from her position as a magazine editor, and the only place she wants to go is to her parents’ summer house, The Nutshell, in Keene’s Harbor, Michigan. Kate’s plan is to turn The Nutshell into a Bed and Breakfast. Problem is, she needs cash, and the only job she can land is less than savory.

Matt Culhane wants Kate to spy on his brewery employees. Someone has been sabotaging his company, and Kate is just new enough in town that she can insert herself into Culhane’s business and snoop around for him. If Kate finds the culprit, Matt will pay her a $20,000 bonus. Needless to say, Kate is highly motivated. But several problems present themselves. Kate despises beer. No one seems to trust her. And she is falling hard for her boss.

Can these two smoke out a saboteur, save Kate’s family home, and keep a killer from closing in…all while resisting their undeniable attraction to one another? Filled with humor, heart, and lovable characters, Love in a Nutshell is delicious fun.


Stats:
Amazon Kindle (currently $2.99) typically $8.99
Pages - 321
1st published - Jan 3, 2012
Setting - Keene's Harbor, Michigan- Contemporary Fiction
Amazon readers gave it 3.5 stars
Goodreads members gave it 3.52 stars
Me - to be read


The Husband List
by Janet Evanovich & Dorien Kelly
 
 
To be published - January 8, 2013: $14.99
 
Based on the family from the bestselling Love In A Nutshell, the story of an heiress longing to marry for love or not at all
From The New York Times bestselling writing duo Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly, comes the story of a young woman’s search for true love. Caroline Maxwell would like nothing more than to join her brother, Eddie, and his friend, Jack Culhane, on their adventures. While Jack and Eddie are off seeing the world, buying up businesses and building wildly successful careers, Caroline's stuck at home frightening off the men her mother hopes will ask for her hand in marriage. When her mother sets her sights on the questionable Lord Bremerton as a possible suitor, Caroline struggles with her instincts and the true nature of her heart. She longs for adventure, passion, love, and most of all . . . Jack Culhane, an unconventional Irish-American bachelor with new money and no title. A completely unacceptable suitor in the eyes of Caroline's mother. But Caroline's dark hair, brilliant eyes and quick wit have Jack understanding just why it is people fall in love and get married. Set in New York City in 1894, The Husband List is an American gilded age romantic mystery. It evokes memories of the lavish lifestyles and social expectations of the Vanderbilt's and Rockefellers—a time when new money from the Americas married Old World social prestige and privilege. Dresses by Worth, transcontinental ocean voyages, lavish parties, a little intrigue, and a lot of romance await in, The Husband List.

I really can't wait for The Husband List. Set in 1894, it's right up my alley. I prefer historical and Janet has been one of the only authors to catch my interest enough to read every one of her contemporary novels in each series or stand alone novel. (I haven't read all of her books but I'm working on it)


Enjoy your weekend and settle in with a good novel, maybe an Evanovich best seller will tempt you!
 
AND to contine Victorian / Christmas traditions Trivia -
 
Did you know:
 
That in the 8th & 9th Century in Britain being mostly a Saxon nation, Santa was known as
King Frost, Father Time or King Winter?
 
 
By the way this image is not of an 8th/9th century Santa, I couldn't find one!
 
"Mischief Managed" ~ Kelly
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment